Monday, February 6, 2012

Things Are Looking UP!!!

Over the past week, I have come to discover that there are a few brave souls out there willing to take a risk in helping me have the birth I want. The risk is not all in the birth itself, but in how the insurance companies have influenced the laws in making it illegal for a certified midwife to attend a VBAC home birth. I am disgusted with how difficult it is for me to make my own choices in this process. I am willing to take the minimal risks involved with having a VBAC at home.

With that said, shouldn't that be enough to choose the certified midwife I want? Isn't there some sort of waiver I can sign saying that I take responsibility for such risks? Well, the answer to both questions is, "no." If a certified midwife took me on as a client, they would subsequently loose their license, which means I'm forced to either go through the traditional hospital system, find a midwife or doula who is not certified or, take things into my own hands and perform an unassisted birth. The second option is, by far, the most realistic and comfortable one for me.

After some more research and a few phone calls, I have found someone who is willing to work with me. She has a lot of experience. We discussed all my basic concerns. She told me that I might need to be transferred to the hospital if complications arise, but she'll do everything in her power to work with me through knowledge and prayer to help me have the birth I want. I am on board with whatever I need to do to make this happen my way. My vision of an ideal birth that I thought was shattered last week is now starting to come back together. I am once again filled with great hope and joy!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah!! So, happy for you. Glad you didn't give up. Try to find an amazing Doula to assist you while you labor, it can make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete