Friday, February 24, 2012

Midwife AND Doula!

Just when I felt like life was being particularly unkind to me in my search for people to help me achieve the birth experience I want, I persevered and found not only a midwife, but a doula too! Its just like everyone has been saying, "Things happen for a reason." When I thought I had lost contact with the midwife, I searched even deeper for someone... anyone to help.

That's when I came across a doula in the neighboring town of Eager. We got together today at a coffee shop and talked for hours. We came to discover that our views on birthing are very similar, which made us both feel empowered and motivated to create this experience together. We both felt relieved to find each other especially in a rural area where most people resign to having repeated c-sections without much other thought. So in the end, I probably would have never met this doula if it wasn't for my temporary loss of contact with the midwife.

Speaking of the midwife. I met with her yesterday and she is absolutely beyond great. She came to my house and as soon as I saw her, I knew she is definitely a kindred spirit of mine. There was an immediate connection between her and everyone in the house. She greeted Danzo with kindness and he felt comfortable enough to talk to her about things around the house. He introduced her to our rat, Benji and in a gesture of kindness picked him up and handed him to her. She took Benji in her hands without hesitation and cuddled him as she thanked Danzo for sharing.

This alone is enough to melt my heart. I know things are going to be okay when someone loves my child and animals from the start. I showed her around the rest of the house and we chatted about the movement to further home birth rights. She told me of some other women in the neighboring towns who have similar views on birth as I do. She shared that she wants to introduce everyone so we can all feel empowered by each other. I'm all for that. There's not much worse than believing in something without an expanded support system. How are things going to change if we don't all unite?

She took my temp and blood pressure and recorded my medical history as we discussed things like books I can read and movies I can watch to learn even more about the birthing process. We went over my diet and supplements I'm taking and a few things that I should add. I shared my experience of having a miscarriage and as I was talking, she rubbed my feet and I felt like all my tension escaped right out my soles. It was amazing. The simple act of empathetic touch can really open a channel for negative energy to escape out of the body, which is something to be utilized during labor, for sure.

I learned about her core beliefs and history in experience both professionally and personally. First of all, and most importantly, she believes that being pregnant is a totally natural and healthy experience and all women are capable of achieving empowerment through the birth process. She has 27 years nursing experience and is a mother of 4 and a grandmother of 1. She is a certified birth and postpartum doula, lactation consultant, and direct-entry midwife. She offers childbirth preparation classes, hypnobirthing techniques, lotus birth, and herbal remedies. She grows and cultivates many herbs in her personal garden at home. In summary, she is works with wise women ways, which is definitely up my alley! Just the kind of person I wanted. 

The best part of the visit came when she got the doppler out and attempted to hear a heartbeat. She tried for about ten minutes the first time, then we took a break for a little while. The second time she tried, she laid her hands on my belly and talked to my baby and asked that she allow us to listen to her heart even if just for a few seconds. The doppler came on again and after about another ten minutes, there is was! Clear as anything. My baby's heart beat. Beating at a rate of about 130 - 140. I think I had a smile on my face for the next few hours just thinking about that wonderful sound. Its one thing to see the heartbeat, but quite another to hear it! A thrilling event in such a relaxed atmosphere too. Without the pressure of time, she found it! Our appointment lasted for a little over two hours!

I was able to talk to both the midwife and doula about each other. They have never met before and we're all excited about getting together for our next visit in March. I'll have a dream team of people working together to increase my chances of having the birth I want. I get to reach out and network with other women with similar beliefs.  I am feeling more motivated than ever to do my homework to make this happen. Best of all, my husband and son will be able to be active participants in the process. Also, I will have advocates on my side if I need to go to the hospital.

I think the most recurring word throughout this post is the best way to describe how I feel from the experiences I've had over the past couple days.... EMPOWERED!!! Everything is falling into place and if I could take a picture of my feelings right now I would. Happiness abounds!

1 comment:

  1. So happy for you! Cant wait to hear the birth story for this amazing baby!

    ReplyDelete