Monday, January 30, 2012

A Setback In My Plan...

We had our first meeting with the midwife, Cyndy on Friday morning. It was a family affair for sure. I showed up with Cam and Danzo and we were happily greeted by a couple of cuddly puppies as we were getting out of the car. After petting them for a bit, we finally made it to the front door. Cyndy answered and she introduced us to a few of her family members as they were on their way out. What a friendly bunch of people. I mean, when was the last time you went to the doctor and suddenly felt the warmth and love of their family surround you?

We sat down in her living room and had a nice chat with Cyndy while we waited for the other midwife, Hannah to show up. They're working together to get certification, but both of them have quite a bit of experience. Cyndy has been delivering babies for 35 years and Hannah has recently worked in a water birth center for nine months. Once Hannah arrived and we were all together, I felt like we were all pieces to a puzzle that had finally completed the picture. My comfort level was very high and became even more so, the more we talked.

We talked about our individual philosophies on childbirth, diet, exercise, supplementation, and my health history. Cyndy shared quite a few anecdotal scenarios to familiarize me with her level of experience. My concern about having a prior c-section was discussed in depth. I came to discover that she has to work with the state laws that govern VBACs (Vaginal Birth After C-section). She said that she would consult with the supervising midwife to learn about specific laws and get back to me.

After two hours of wonderful discussion, I left feeling empowered and energized to go forward on my chosen path. As I sat down today to write about this great experience, my dreams of working with these wonderful women were dashed as I got a call from Cyndy with the bad news. Since she is working to get certified, it is illegal for her to perform a VBAC. This is heartbreaking to me since these two ladies seemed like my only legal hope for having a home birth. I'm not sure what I'm going to do now.

2 comments:

  1. What a setback! I am sorry to hear that. But, there are still lots of options so dont give up just yet. Continue to look into all your options and you will find a way to have the birth you so desire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words! I really needed some encouragement. I'm not giving up just yet. I'm waiting to hear back about more info on a resource that might be able to help me. If it works out, it should make for some interesting times ahead... stay tuned!

      Delete