Saturday, July 25, 2009

Get this kid out of me!

Alright, so I've enjoyed being pregnant. I'm grateful for having the opportunity to let this life incubate inside of me. Its great to be a part of life's highest calling... yada... yada... yada...

The truth is, ever since we've moved and I've had to uproot and demolish all of my nesting efforts this far, I am done being pregnant. I want my body back. I want my shoes to fit. I want the pain and numbness in my hands and wrists to go away. I want to allow this kid to be his own person once and for all.

I've had a feeling that he's going to be big from the beginning, but now it has become painfully real that he is growing exponentially with every day that passes. All my organs from lungs to bladder are getting squished, which makes sleeping for more than a couple of hours at a time impossible.

When I wake up in the morning, the drool that has escaped my mouth practically drowns me. I try to get out of bed and instead of greeting the day with exuberance and hopping up in a song and dance, I rock back and forth struggling to sit up. Grunting and panting the whole time, inching my way to the edge of the bed, which just ends up making me feel like Jabba the Hut. Talk about a demoralizing!

I am lucky to be surrounded by such great family to lift me up and keep me going in the midst of my damaged ego. Yesterday, Danielle got me out of the house to one of my favorite places to eat (Red Robin) for lunch then was kind enough to help me unpack and organize the contents of quite a few boxes in D.L.'s room.

I rested for a bit and continued nesting until I got invited next door to grandma's house for a wonderful cube steak dinner. There were mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, bread, and dessert. Mmmmmmm! Not to mention great company with Cindy and Andrea being in town. We all gathered around with Virginia and talked for hours. I felt like it was ladies night!

Being pregnant is a joyous, challenging, and excruciating experience. There is nothing more of an honor in life and nothing more humbling. For sure, one of the best aspects of it is the way it brings family together, creates new stories, and conjures up old ones. Uniting past to present and creating a canvas for the future.

1 comment:

  1. LOL!!! You poor thing! I'm glad you get to enjoy great food and great company though!

    Its funny cause with my last pregnancy I swore I'd never do it again but then you forget about all the hard stuff you go through (physically, emotionally, mentally, etc....)and then you do it again! Crazy or what!?? So worth it in the end though!:)

    ReplyDelete