Saturday, February 28, 2009

Welcome to Arizona

Cam and I have been through a slew of changes. We both quit our really good-paying jobs in the middle of this recession and moved 1500 miles away to Mesa, AZ. The fish, Sam died in the move, but all the cats and Foof are doing well. Neither of us have a job yet. I really don’t want a job outside of the home. I think I already have one and it is my job to be a healthy pregnant woman and to support Cam in getting a job to support us. I'm also trying to get some writing published, but we'll see... We’re really scraping by right now. Our savings are almost gone.

We were lucky enough to find a midwife that is willing to barter. Cam is going to start doing yard work at her house next week to cover at least part of the cost of the home-birth. The rest of my medical expenses like labs, ultrasound and emergencies will be covered under the AHCCCS coverage I finally got my id card for last week. The remainder of the home-birth bill will have to be figured out in time. The cost is $2200 minus whatever Cam works off.

We had our first appointment with the midwife, Sue last Friday. It went really well. We spent an hour with her going over everything from the paperwork, checking my urine and blood pressure (urine was perfect, blood pressure could be lower), to confirming a barter deal. She asked Cam what he wanted to charge her for working. He said, “$10 - $12 dollars an hour?” She quickly replied, “I don’t pay that much. I pay $20 an hour plus beer.” He of course agreed quickly and we all had a laugh. I also got to listen to the heartbeat again. (I heard it the first time when we interviewed Pam on 2/11.) It was a little more faint this time, but it was because Sue needs to get better equipment. It still sounds like a racehorse!

I have to admit, until I heard the heartbeat, I’ve been really reluctant to do much of anything. I’m sure it’s a defense mechanism since I experienced a miscarriage (actually, blighted ovum) about a year ago. Now that I’ve heard the heartbeat twice, I’ve started the Brewer diet (60 – 100 g of protein a day!) and am more serious about drinking at least 64 ounces of water and taking my supplements every day. My next step is to get a workout routine in place. I bought a prenatal yoga book at the store and borrowed another from Sue about exercise during pregnancy. For now, Cam and I have been going on a few half-hour walks here and there and I’ve started to do stretching. I also want to incorporate daily Kegels and meditation.

I have a lot of work to do, but I’m feeling renewed and energized to do it! I’m so excited for what’s to come. Sue said that I should be feeling the baby move in the next couple weeks and by week 20, we’ll know the gender and be able to see how the overall functions of the body are doing through an ultrasound.

Even though we’re scraping by and things are really tight, I have to say how amazing it is that we’ve made it this far and have been able to stretch and bend to make things happen. I’m really glad Cam and I are together. We make a great team and I just know that he is going to be a great father!

No comments:

Post a Comment